If you were reading the local paper just before Christmas then you may have noticed the Medway Foodbank appeal asking for support from local businesses.

This struck a chord with us as a company who work first hand in the community who rely on these volunteer services. We’ve seen just how much the economic decline has led to higher rates of unemployment and homelessness and affected the financial security of people in Medway.

So we have decided to make a monthly commitment to Medway Foodbank and support them during 2016. We visited them last month and got to meet warehouse manager, Kevin Jennings and his team of volunteers to see how the facility operated and present them with a cheque.

If you’d like more information or would like to donate to the Foodbank then please click the link below.

Also in today’s newsletter we introduce you to two more people who help Kent Housing  achieve it’s goals.

Spotlight on our Landlords

Introducing Chris Steer…
Not only is Chris Steer one of our landlords but he also provides the Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) for the properties that we manage.

We caught up with Chris to find out about his company Earth Wind and Power and to talk about how we have eased some of the challenges he faces as a landlord.

How long have you had your property with Kent Housing?

I have been working with Kent Housing for about 2 years. They manage one of my properties and I also provide Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) for their clients through my company Earth Wind and Power.

What challenges did you face as a landlord have before you came over to Kent housing

I’m sure that the challenges I face being a landlord are quite typical; non-payment of rent, anti-social tenants, vandalism to the property, difficulties in finding good tenants and, on the flip side, cutting ties with bad tenants.
However, with Kent Housing I am guaranteed the monthly rent on my property and because they are the “tenant”, I am spared the pain of past bad experiences. In fact I have other properties which currently have long-term lets in them, which as they become free will be managed by Kent Housing.

About Earth Wind and Power

When commercial and domestic properties are constructed, sold or let there is a legal requirement to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The EPC provides details on the energy performance of the property and what you can be done to improve it.

I have been providing this service since the legislation came into force 8 years ago. I carry out an initial survey on the property which typically takes an hour and then and the EPC is delivered approximately 2 days later. I am fully qualified to carry out the inspections and as a member of an accredited body, stringent checks are carried out every quarter by the government make sure that I meet their requirements.

On a final note, I’ve learnt never to judge a property on appearances, or name for that matter…one job that stands out was a so called cottage in Tunbridge Wells. After driving past a huge mansion a number of times trying to find the cottage I discovered that 9 bedroom property was indeed the cottage that I was there to survey!

Meet Chris Veerasawmy – Electrician for Kent Housing
We couldn’t achieve our goal of supplying quality homes, sustaining communities without our valued contractors.
This month we meet Chris Veerasawmy of PlugIn Electrical Services who has been working in the industry for over 10 years and has a lot of experience of working with landlords and on other large commercial projects.
Chris has also watched us grow as a company and has a lot of advice for prospective landlords.

How long have you worked for Kent Housing?

I have worked for Kent Housing on and off for a year and a half carrying out various sorts of electrical maintenance. It only came about because I was recommended to them.

What work do you do?

I do everything electrically related but the majority of my time is spent bringing properties up to a professional standard with regards to the safety of their installations and tenants.

What advice do you have for landlords?

I would advise landlords to always check with a qualified electrician the condition of their consumer unit.
Generally it gives away the age, condition and safety of the installation within property. Consumer units ought to be RCD protected with the appropriate labels on them detailing when it was last tested and the next recommended date for the test and inspection.

How can a landlord check whether an electrician is qualified?
If a landlord is looking for a qualified electrician, the landlord has a statutory right to demand to see the “Part P Approved” contractor card. Every qualified electrician must have one.
The landlord can also call the electrical body to which the electrician is registered to check the authenticity of the contractor in question. A qualified electrician should also have public liability insurance in place.

Keep A Look Out For Us On Your Travels

And lastly, if you’re travelling around Walderslade and Chatham Maritime then you might see a familiar logo gracing some of the roundabouts.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Our Partners